Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Welcome Distractions

I have a 35 minute commute to work everyday. When this whole economic crisis/debacle happened, I started to become glued to my radio during my drive. I would turn on the raido in the morning and go back and forth between NPR and AM 740 NewsRadio. After school, I would rush to my car and quickly turn on the radio to hear what the stock market did that day. Not that I am particularly tied to the stock market. Well, my retirement account has certainly been affected by the ups and downs or should I say the tremendous downhill ride. In addition, my kids' college funds are looking pretty skimpy right now. Anyway, I found myself eagerly waiting for one person's analysis or this person's insight and wanting more and more to see how the stock market performed on a daily basis. It started to drive me crazy.

Finally, I have realized that I can't do anything about it. So, I have vowed to take a sabatical from listening to the "news." My rides to work will go back to being filled with music and books on CD. Most recently I have listened to a monologue by Juilia Sweeney. She used to be Pat from Saturday Night Live and she is really funny. I think it's true, laughter really is the best medicine.

1 comment:

alexandra s.m. said...

Yes, I remember her! You've always liked her! How very true, a good laugh, some Christmas songs,everybody healthy...it's all good! Thanks for sharing Ali.
alexox