Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Lists

I don't know exactly why, but, I hate lists. I think it has something to do with a past boss and her obsession with lists. She started her day off with a list and couldn't end her day until everything on that ridiculous list was crossed off. She really wanted me to have a list too. And if I didn't make a list, she would make some snide comment about my "list less" (no pun intended) day. Always implying that my work day would be so much more productive if I would only make a list.

My disdain for lists is deeply rooted. It's so bad that I rarely make a list to go grocery shopping. When I do actually take the time to sit down and write a list, I usually forget where I put it - causing me to walk around the grocery store trying to remember what was on my misplaced list. The funny part though, is when I am in the grocery store, I pine for my lost list. And when I return home and realize what I've forgotten, I usually vow to write a list next time.

I am coming around to lists, however. I witnessed my friend, Lyne, thoughtfully and respectively cross items off her list as we were packing up to leave Tahoe. The manner in which Lyne managed her list was very impressive and I made note of the stark contrast of her "list behavior" as compared to the "list behavior" of my old boss. As Lyne crossed items off her list, she seemed to become calmer and more sure of herself. My old boss just became more frantic when she crossed things off, it was like her life was dwindling away and she needed to find more "stuff" to add to the list.

There has to be a happy middle ground for the world of "lists." Maybe I will find it. Maybe I won't. I'll keep you "posted" (pun intended) on my progress.

2 comments:

alexandra s.m. said...

Ah what a vast subject!
I'm kind of in the middle: a list to go to the store: no, not really.
A list to get things DONE: YEP! It really is the only way! I used to not like lists and then when we moved out of the country and were bombarded by a zillion of things to get done in a small time frame,having a list was THE only way!following a list might not be fun but boy the feeling you get when you get to cross out each item is fantastic and when you see EVERYTHING has been crossed=> such a wonderful feeling of achievement and control!
I really appreciate the fact that despite that awful boss of yours you've kept your mind OPEN TO CHANGE, and THAT should be on top of everybody's list!

alexox

ebristow said...

Now that you are reconsidering the "list"- shall you create it with a modern device? Perhaps a daily planner, I phone, lap top...etc...
Or will you keep it tried and true with pencil and paper. I myself prefer paper to pencil, but you are more modern than I.